Friday, October 10, 2008

wooden cutting boards

Before the Food Network I couldn't think of anything more boring than watching someone cook AND then watching them make weird noises as they eat it.  Now not only do I watch these shows, I even have their cookbooks (rachel ray express meals, paula deen) and I recently discovered at Kohl's I could buy a bobby flay griddle or an emeril pepper grinder.  

I think it has all gotten a bit out of control.

Which is why I love Sam the Cooking Guy.

We actually downsized our cable a few months ago to the basic package which meant bye-bye to Food Network.  And that is when I discovered Sam.  He is a local San Diegoian who started doing his own cooking show on our local access channel that is refreshingly non-Food Network. (his show is now also on Discovery-Health).  Even Joe will watch.  Sam really makes you want to cook and experiment with food and not just buy a bunch of ingredients that sound and taste weird and that you will only use one time.
 
Another reason I love Sam - he uses a giant wooden cutting board.  huh?  In my parents kitchen  there is a wooden cutting board cleverly hidden in the kitchen island.  This cutting board has been used for 20+ years to chop, dice, & slice vegetables, meats (yes, raw), bread, playdough, etc.  It would usually get washed and then used again and again and again.  

What got me thinking about this dear family artifact was this article by the New York times that Sam the Cooking Guy posted in a recent newsletter.  

In fact, I even found a picture of the cutting board.  It looks like it most recently was used for shredding cheese in this picture, but you can still see it.













And in looking for a picture of the cutting board, I stumbled upon these gems that I just can't resist posting.  My sisters might kill me, but it's worth it.

















this one was circa 1990.  I was into hot rollers and Amy was into bad-perms.  Sarah was still cute.















No idea when this was, but the there are so many things wrong with it I just had to put it up.  

3 comments:

Amy said...

what do you mean, "bad perm"? I kinda like that look and may bring it back. at least it proves that I indeed have had a different hairstyle in my lifetime. i also think the geometric sweater brings out my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Why why why. Oh goodness, these are treasures. Mostly of Amy. I feel fine about myself in them, though I admit they are not the best. Amy's choice of floral stretch pants with that shirt, as well as the hairdo... I have no words for tragedies such as these.

p.s. the kiddos are ADORABLE in the pumpkin patch photos. And you = pretty. Who would have thought that the girl in the Christmas photo with a hood over her face would turn into such a hot mama?!

-Sarah

Amy said...

for the record, those leggings were velvet and very cozy. i may or may not have worn them my senior year of high-school....but, i must clarify that the plaid top was a c-mas nightshirt that i was obligated to put on that morning.